The basics of dental care aren’t hard to grasp! Healthy Smiles Dental Care™ of Chelsea is pleased to provide information about dental care to help you better understand how to take care of your teeth at home, and when you may need to seek treatment from our dental professionals. Feel free to explore this page, and the rest of our website, to learn more about your oral health. We welcome you to call our office if you have any questions about dental care in Chelsea, Michigan, and to schedule your appointment with one of our caring dentists.
How can I take care of my smile between dental checkups?
We recommend that you visit Healthy Smiles Dental Care™ of Chelsea every six months for regular dental checkups. However, we know how important it is that you practice good oral hygiene at home in between these visits. Preventive care will help protect your teeth, keeping your smile healthy and beautiful. Our dentists recommend that you:
- Brush and floss your teeth every day. You should brush at least twice a day and floss at least once a day. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a fluoridated toothpaste.
- Maintain a balanced, healthy diet with a limited amount of very sugary or acidic foods. You should also avoid tobacco, which can cause periodontal (gum) disease, oral cancer, and will most likely stain your teeth.
- Visit our office at least twice a year for a routine teeth cleaning and dental exam.
- Ask our dentist about dental sealants and fluoride treatment to see if they are right for your smile.
If you have questions about preventive home care or dental treatments, please call our office. Our dentists and team will be happy to speak with you!
What causes tooth decay?
Tooth decay is caused when plaque combines with sugars and starches from the foods you eat to produce an acid. This acid attacks the tooth enamel in your mouth and weakens it, eventually causing cavities. You can prevent tooth decay by brushing and flossing your teeth, and by maintaining a balanced diet and limiting your intake of sugary and starchy foods and drinks. Regular visits to our dentists in Chelsea, Michigan, for dental cleanings will also help control the amount of plaque on your teeth.
Why are my teeth sensitive?
Tooth sensitivity is a common problem. Many people notice pain or discomfort in their teeth when they come into contact with hot or cold drinks and foods, sweets, or cold air. This sensitivity can be caused by receding gums, or by tiny fractures in the enamel of your teeth. Fortunately, treatments exist to help treat sensitive teeth! Learn more by contacting our dentists in Chelsea, Michigan, and scheduling an appointment at our office.
What is gum disease? What are its symptoms?
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, can be devastating to your oral health. If you are concerned about gum disease, please contact Healthy Smiles Dental Care™ of Chelsea immediately to receive care to help restore your oral health.
How does fluoride work?
Fluoride is a naturally found mineral that helps to strengthen your teeth. It encourages “remineralization,” which protects your teeth from tooth decay. Our dentists recommend that you receive fluoride treatments every six months with your routine dental cleanings. We also advise that you use toothpaste that contains fluoride in your at-home dental care. Depending on your personal needs, our dentists may also recommend that you use a fluoride mouth rinse. If you have questions about fluoride, call Healthy Smiles Dental Care™ of Chelsea to speak with a member of our team. We are always happy to help you!
What are the symptoms of oral cancer?
Oral cancer is a serious condition. It is easily treatable if diagnosed early, but can threaten your life if it goes unnoticed until later stages of development. Because early diagnosis is important, it is essential that any symptoms be reported to your dentist as soon as possible. Common signs of oral cancer include:
- Red or white lesions in your mouth or lips
- Sores, lumps, thick patches, or swellings anywhere in or around your mouth or throat
- Pain, numbness, or tenderness anywhere in your mouth
- Difficulty moving your jaw or tongue, or difficulty chewing, speaking, or swallowing
- The feeling of a lump or something stuck in your throat
- Loose teeth with no apparent cause
- A persistent sore throat or hoarseness
- Pain in one of your ears without any hearing loss
If you notice any symptoms of oral cancer, we invite you to contact Healthy Smiles Dental Care™ of Chelsea immediately to schedule an appointment with our dentists.